One of the functions of the Graduate Representative Organization (GRO) is to provide funding opportunities for activities and events that are of interest to graduate students at Johns Hopkins. In the past, the GRO has sponsored social, cultural, athletic, and educational events, as well as unique services that have been created and administered by graduate students. The GRO also makes funds available to support the operation of recognized student groups and departmental graduate student associations.
If you are holding an event that involves graduate students, or if your group includes graduate students, you may be entitled to funding from the GRO.
To be eligible for funds, your event must also be cross-departmental. (If funded, all publicity must name the GRO as a sponsor, include the Homewood campus, and be written with all information at least in English.)
Group recognition by the GRO is not required for nor a guarantee of event funding.
Limits on Funding
- The GRO may fund academic events up to $500 per event and non-academic events up to $750 per event.
- The GRO will only fund up to 75% of an event's total cost.
- The amount of funding spent on food must not exceed $12 per person.
- The GRO is not permitted to reimburse money spent on alcoholic beverages. (You may include the anticipated cost of alcoholic beverages on your funding request form, but please do not ask us to pay for them.)
- The GRO is not permitted to reimburse for sales tax. (For tax exemption status, you must contact the University Tax office.)
- The GRO will not approve funding for events that have already occurred.
- There are no limits to how many times a single group may request or be granted funding. Each event will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Steps for Requesting Funds
- Ensure that your event is both cross-departmental and open to all graduate students.
- Consider the above limits on funding.
- At least two weeks prior to the event, submit an official request form. (Forms are found below.)
- If applying for more than $250, send a representative from your group to the funding committe meeting an hour before the next General Council meeting (at the same location) who is prepared to answer questions about the event. (This representative may not be a current member of the GRO General Council.)
- Enjoy your event.
- Submit an evaluation form and receipts within one month after your event. (Failure to do so may result in retasking of funds and disqualification from future GRO funding.)
The most successful proposals are those that include other funding sources and several types of publicity.
Please submit your funding requests in a timely manner. It is expected that funding requests submitted late in the Spring semester will receive less funding because of fewer available funds.
In order to receive reimbursements:
- Please provide us with your contact info (full name, JHED ID, phone number and email).
- Please tape receipts to a sheet of paper, and do not cover one receipt with another. (If receipts are too long to fit on one page, cut the receipt into 2 or 3 pieces and tape them next to each other. When you tape the receipts, carefully place the tape on the outside edge of the receipt.)
- Please leave all the receipts as well as your contact info in the GRO mailbox in Levering hall.
- In order to transfer funds into a university account (if applicable), please send an email to GRO treasurer including the following information:
- contact person, phone number, and email
- group name and campus address
- university account number
Questions regarding reimbursement procedures should be addressed to the GRO Treasurer.